Mind Spirit Share
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mind Spirit Share

This forum is for those who willing to share whatever come across the mind.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Plastic Water Bottles

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Death
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Death

Plastic Water Bottles Empty
PostSubject: Plastic Water Bottles   Plastic Water Bottles Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 11:48 pm

Whether you buy bottled water or conscientiously tote some from home, you'll want to avoid swallowing chemicals along with it. Particularly for small children, whose bodies are developing, it's best to steer clear of plastics that can release chemicals that could harm them in the long term. Below, the plastics not to choose (check the recycling number on the bottom of your bottle) and those that are safer:

Plastics to Avoid

#3 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) commonly contains di-2-ehtylhexyl phthalate (DEHP), an endocrine disruptor and probable human carcinogen, as a softener.

#6 Polystyrene (PS) may leach styrene, a possible endocrine disruptor and human carcinogen, into water and food.

#7 Polycarbonate
contains the hormone disruptor bisphenol-A, which can leach out as bottles age, are heated or exposed to acidic solutions. Unfortunately, #7 is used in most baby bottles and five-gallon water jugs and in many reusable sports bottles.

Better Plastics

#1 polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE)
, the most common and easily recycled plastic for bottled water and soft drinks, has also been considered the most safe. However, one 2003 Italian study found that the amount of DEHP in bottled spring water increased after 9 months of storage in a PET bottle.

#2 High Density Polyethylene

#4 Low Density Polyethylene

#5 Polypropylene

Best Reusable Bottles: Betras USA Sports Bottles, Brita Fill & Go Water Filtration Bottle, Arrow Canteen

Better Baby Bottles: Choose tempered glass or opaque plastic made of polypropylene (#5) or polyethylene (#1), which do not contain bisphenol-A.

Tips for Use:

*Sniff and Taste: If there's a hint of plastic in your water, don't drink it.

*Keep bottled water away from heat, which promotes leaching of chemicals.

*Use bottled water quickly, as chemicals may migrate from plastic during storage. Ask retailers how long water has been on their shelves, and don't buy if it's been months.

*Do not reuse bottles intended for single use. Reused water bottles also make good breeding grounds for bacteria.

*Choose rigid, reusable containers or, for hot/acidic liquids, thermoses with stainless steel or ceramic interiors.
Back to top Go down
http://chosen-paths.blogspot.com
Death
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Death

Plastic Water Bottles Empty
PostSubject: Cords   Plastic Water Bottles Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 11:55 pm

I'm writing this column on a laptop. My daughter likes to yank on its power cord. Next to me sits my cell phone with its corded hands-free headset. Next to that rests a cord-ed baby monitor. A few feet away from me is the babe's 16-year-old cousin, bopping along to her iPod. Another cousin is playing some sort of game hooked up to the television: cords, cords and more cords.

The problem with all those cords isn't the mess they create but the fact that they're wrapped in polyvinyl chloride (PVC), an environmentally destructive plastic that often contains brain-damaging lead and hormone disrupting phthalates.

Several groups, including Greenpeace and the Center for Environmental Health (CEH), have tested and concluded that the headphone cords for certain electronic devices contain high levels of phthalates. Greenpeace has found a similar issue with certain game consoles.

But would I, or the iPod and video game addicts, give these things up just to cut back on potential lead and phthalate exposure? Probably not. I do try to, but it makes work difficult.

The good news is that companies are starting to (voluntarily) eliminate the worst chemicals from their electronics and wires. Apple, which was recently given kudos from Greenpeace for its greener Nano, has said it will rid its products of PVC (the source of the phthalates and often of lead, which is used to stabilize the flexible plastic) by the end of 2008. Apple also says it currently complies with an E.U. directive called RoHS ("restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment") and its tough guidelines on toxic substances in electronics; the RoHS guidelines require eliminating lead but not PVC. Though they aren't the standard issue iBuds that come with their pods and phones, Apple does already sell (volume reducing) PVC-free earphones called Ultimate Ears Loud Enough Earphones for Kids ($39.95; www.store.apple.com). These work for non-Apple items, too.

Where cell phones are concerned, Nokia got top billing in Greenpeace's most recent Greener Electronics Guide, partly for eliminating lead in all its products and for having produced PVC-free phones since 2005. And, the Greenpeace report notes that Sony Ericsson has banned lead, PVC and phthalates in all of its products (including hands-free headset wires).

But what if you don't want to buy new earbuds or a new phone for your techie teenager? Unfortunately warning labels are few and far between, and often buried in paper manuals most of us toss or lose post purchase. A few solid ideas:

* Do not allow children—or adults—to put earphones or cords in their mouths.

*Always wash hands after touching cords, especially before eating.

*Test cords with a Lead Check swab, which is said to work well for electronics.

*If you're willing, wrap earphone cords in something like fun-patterned or brightly colored wire reinforced ribbon. This goes over particularly well with teenage girls. Don't, however, wrap in electrical tape. It's also PVC.

* It might be worth switching computer cords you use most, and certainly those that test positive for lead. Call your computer's manufacturer to see if they offer lead-free cables. If not, check online stores that sell RoHS-compliant accessories, such as www.pcconnection.com.
Back to top Go down
http://chosen-paths.blogspot.com

Plastic Water Bottles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mind Spirit Share :: Life Style Zone :: House and Food-
Jump to: