Mind Spirit Share
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mind Spirit Share

This forum is for those who willing to share whatever come across the mind.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Science and math in English

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin~*~*
Admin~*~*
Admin

Science and math in English Empty
PostSubject: Science and math in English   Science and math in English Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 10:07 pm

hmm....this is what i read recently regarding the sub i written there...yeap, should the both subject be reverted and teaching in BM once again?

From a view of a third party ( which I think can see the thing much more clearly ) what do you think with the move of teaching both subjects in English? Is it benefiting us as the students or really have a bad consequences behind it?

No matter what, RM5 billion had been spent in order to launch this project, we are not taking about RM 5 or RM 50, but RM 5 billion, therefore, must be plan wisely, otherwise it will be in vain. Please don't say that, it doesn't concern you, after all, that's our money come to think of it. pale pale

The action only will be taken right after the result of UPSR revealed in the end of the year. Which language would you prefer, BM / English ?? scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
http://mss-919.omgforum.net
rage
V.I.P
V.I.P
rage

PostSubject: Re: Science and math in English   Science and math in English Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Wtf of coz english

Initially started at english way back ago (20 to 30 years) then they change to BM then revert back to english and now again BM? Wtf?! How much money they have to eat this time? Pour down RM5 billion , 20% telan by PM , 10% by ministry of edu?

Before I choose. I'd say that there's no benefit in learning both science and maths in BM. Not at all. It makes things worst. When I go up from form 5 to foundation in science. I have hard time coping with all those english terms. I was like Sodium? Wtf was that? I don't see 'So' in periodic table but there's the so-called Natrium there which is Na.

Integrasi? Wtf they cant find a proper word to translate integration and they goes 'Oh since there's no such word in BM (our word library is only 30pages thick after all) and so they replace the tion with a si" smart move ya.

I'm not bias but seriously I don't see any benefits from learning Science and maths in BM. Perhaps I miss out the benefits and if anyone can. State it ya. Cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Death
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Death

PostSubject: Re: Science and math in English   Science and math in English Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:57 am

I really support the teaching of maths and science in English,so if the results of those subject getting lower,we should take more action to fix this rather than just revert it. Our nation needs some politics that can see long-term results of an policy rather than immediate solution.
Back to top Go down
http://chosen-paths.blogspot.com
Admin
Admin~*~*
Admin~*~*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Science and math in English   Science and math in English Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:25 am

NO DOUBT that i am supporting that both subjects be taught in English, but some group not agree with that, for example, those "orang asli" ? or parents who lowly educated?

Quote :
English not the medium

IWRITE to add to the current debate on the teaching of Science and Mathematics in English.

I graduated in 1999 from a small school in Penang where Science and Mathematics were taught in Bahasa Malaysia. Now, I am a scientist in a leading medical research institute in Australia and will be completing my PhD at the end of this year.

Since starting my PhD candidature in 2005, I have won five awards, including two awards at national conferences for Best Speaker (most other speakers were native English speakers) and one young investigator award at a prestigious international conference.

I am also an author in a major scientific publication and have more publications in the pipeline.

I am not alone in such success. There are two other Malaysians in the institute where I work, as well as senior scientists from Albania, Argentina, Armenia, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Iran, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and Sweden.

All of them are successful despite schooling in their respective national language!

Hence, my main points are:

1. It is not important for English to be the medium of instruction for Science and Mathematics. Stop wasting money and resources trying to implement this.

2. The standard of English in our schools has been deteriorating for so long that many of the teachers we have in schools are themselves not proficient in English.

3. The problem is the teaching of the English language itself. Don’t send Science and Mathematics teachers for English courses when some English teachers themselves need English courses, and English teachers who don’t need English courses need a useful syllabus from which to teach!

5. Don’t make the use of Bahasa Malaysia the scapegoat. It is important for Bahasa Malaysia to remain the medium of instruction in schools for the sake of national identity, which is vital for genuine national unity.

Finally, please identify and address the real problems in our school system.

A student competent in English and Science/Mathematics separately can communicate Science/Mathematics in English even if he/she learnt it in Bahasa Malaysia.

I have had no formal Chinese education, and both my parents barely speak Mandarin. The extent of my Chinese education is weekly tuition classes when I was in primary school.

Yet, with my minimal proficiency in Mandarin, I’ve engaged in lengthy scientific discussions, mainly in Mandarin, with scientists from China and Taiwan on many occasions with good outcomes.

Make sure Science and Mathematics are taught properly, and don’t discriminate against students who are poor in English but may have the aptitude for Science or Mathematics.

Communication can come after understanding has been established.

George Town.
*the writers name been deleted and this is quote from a feedback from The Stars reader

Other than that, the question " Six pencils cost RM2.40. How much does a pencil cost?" , 39.6% overal of 1077 malay students correct, 54.7% over 360 goes to Chinese and Indian students, for Orang Asli only a poorly 6.5% over 108 of students got it correct.
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/Advanced/20080907092829/Article/index_html

but is the thing doesn't happen according to what government expected and needed to revert it back to BM in teaching science and maths yet unknown.....

Neutral Neutral
Back to top Go down
Death
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Death

PostSubject: Re: Science and math in English   Science and math in English Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:35 am

Quote :

3. The problem is the teaching of the English language itself. Don’t send Science and Mathematics teachers for English courses when some English teachers themselves need English courses, and English teachers who don’t need English courses need a useful syllabus from which to teach!

The real problem is this,not the medium of teaching.Ministry should address this problem first,and they should show to students how exciting science,by making them watch Mythbuster or something.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin~*~*
Admin~*~*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Science and math in English   Science and math in English Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 5:32 pm

but, if you see....teachers had been sent to courses and so on, but perhaps due to the fact of age, the ability to absorb the information had gone worse, whatsover those scientific terms?
Back to top Go down
Death
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Death

PostSubject: Re: Science and math in English   Science and math in English Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Admin wrote:
but, if you see....teachers had been sent to courses and so on, but perhaps due to the fact of age, the ability to absorb the information had gone worse, whatsover those scientific terms?

You always can teach old dogs new tricks. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Science and math in English   Science and math in English Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Science and math in English
Page 1 of 1